Title: Cincinnati Bike Share Feasibility Study
Prepared by: Alta Planning + Design
Prepared for: The City of Cincinnati
Date: September 2012
Summary: The City of Cincinnati has commissioned this study to understand the characteristics that make those systems successful and to determine if bike sharing is feasible in Cincinnati. The objectives of this study are to:
- Introduce bike sharing in a way that can be presented to decision makers, potential partners, and key stakeholders.
- Present experience from operating bike share systems in North America to identify key system parameters and understand potential demand in Cincinnati.
- Evaluate the preparedness of Cincinnati and identify the most suitable areas for bike sharing and any obstacles that could impact success.
- Identify an initial service area and size for a potential bike share system from which to forecast expected demand, costs and revenues.
- Present different funding options and operating models and recommend those most applicable to Cincinnati.
- Although the suitability of the entire city has been considered, this report focuses on the most densely populated and mixed use environments in Downtown, Over-the-Rhine (OTR), and Uptown. These areas are most likely to have initial success and encourage expansion of the system into lower demand areas